2 Arrested, Charged In Killing Of Man Acquitted In Air India Bombing Case

2 Arrested, charged with murder of man acquitted in Air India bombing case

Ripudaman Singh Malik was acquitted in the 1985 Air India bombing case that killed 331 people.

Toronto:

Canadian police have arrested two people and charged them with first-degree murder in the targeted shooting of Ripudaman Singh Malik, the Sikh acquitted in the tragic case of the 1985 Air India Kanishka terrorist bombing that killed 331 people.

On July 15, Malik was shot dead in Surrey, British Columbia. Malik and co-defendant Ajaib Singh Bagri were acquitted in 2005 of mass murder and conspiracy in connection with the two 1985 bombings.

The 1985 Air India bombing is one of the worst terrorist attacks in Canadian and airline history.

Tanner Fox, a 21-year-old from Abbotsford, British Columbia, a city about 45 miles east of Vancouver, and 23-year-old Jose Lopez, from the Vancouver suburb of New Westminster, were both arrested Tuesday, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police said. (RCMP) at a press conference in Surrey on Wednesday.

Police kept tight-lipped, saying only that the two had been arrested peacefully in their respective cities and that police collaboration led to the arrests, the Toronto Star newspaper reported.

“Using conventional investigative techniques and great police work, we were able to identify and arrest two suspects in connection with this murder.”

“Both individuals are known to the police,” said Chief Inspector Mandeep Mooker, a spokesperson for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team (IHIT).

A few miles away, Malik’s son, Jaspreet Singh Malik, said his family took the news with mixed feelings.

“Wherever the investigation goes and however these charges turn out, we have lost a great man,” Jaspreet said.

“We are pleased that the IHIT team has made progress and we support the work they are doing. At the same time, we are saddened that these two young men have made such poor life choices. We trust that the justice system will treat them well and fairly,” he said.

Jaspreet said police have not told the family more than they have publicly disclosed, and will not speculate as to why his father was targeted.

The Integrated Homicide Investigation Team says the investigation into the murder of controversial Surrey businessman Malik continues despite charges of first degree murder Wednesday, the Vancouver Sun newspaper reported.

Fox, who grew up in Abbotsford, and Lopez, from New Westminster, both appeared in Surrey provincial court on Wednesday and have been remanded in custody until their next court date on August 10.

Lopez was indicted in Kelowna last summer on nine criminal counts, including possession of a firearm with ammunition, aiming a gun, violating a court order to possess firearms and resisting arrest.

Fox was convicted last April of resisting or obstructing a peace officer and sentenced to four days in prison. Last fall, he was charged with aggravated assault in connection with an incident in New Westminster. He was released on bail.

He had previously been convicted of assault with bodily harm in connection with a November 2019 stabbing in Abbotsford and sentenced to 119 days in prison and a 10-year firearms ban.

Surrey RCMP commander Brian Edwards thanked the town’s residents for their help in the high-profile case.

“Thank you for your trust, your patience and your help in resolving this issue… the involvement of the public at all stages of investigations is how we solve crime,” Edwards said.

Malik was shot on July 14 while sitting in his car at a business complex in Surrey, of which he was the strata president.

On July 16, Canada’s Homicide Division released images of a white car it claims has been linked to Malik’s targeted murder and urged the public not to jump to conclusions about the motive as it explores the complex, high-profile murder of Malik. investigating case.

The murder sparked mixed reactions from the community, with many grieving Malik as a co-founder of the Khalsa School and Khalsa Credit Union. At the shooting, some who knew him were visibly shocked as officers flooded the complex.

Others who continue to suspect Malik was involved in the Air India attack had more complicated feelings as they continued to seek responsibility for the bombing.

On June 23, 1985, Air India Flight 182, with 329 people on board, including 268 Canadian citizens and 24 Indian citizens, flew from Toronto and stopped in Montreal from where it was bound for London and then on to its final destination, Bombay.

The plane was flying 31,000 feet over the Atlantic Ocean when a suitcase bomb exploded in the forward cargo, killing everyone on board.

Another bomb was intended to be placed on an Air India flight scheduled to take off from Japan, but it exploded at Narita airport in Tokyo, killing two baggage handlers.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.