ACEA: Electric cars: Half of all chargers in EU concentrated in just two countries

New data analysis from the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) shows that half of all electric car charging points in the European Union are concentrated in just two countries: the Netherlands (90,000 chargers) and Germany (60,000)

New data analysis from the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) shows that half of all electric car charging points in the European Union are concentrated in just two countries: the Netherlands (90,000 chargers) and Germany (60,000).

These two countries cover less than 10% of the total area of ​​the EU. The other half of all chargers are spread over the other 25 countries, accounting for 90% of the area of ​​the region.

The gap between the countries at the top and bottom of the rankings is huge. The Netherlands – the country with the most infrastructure – has almost 1,600 times more charging points than the country with the least infrastructure (Cyprus, with only 57 charging points). Only the Dutch have as many chargers as 23 Member States combined.

When it comes to infrastructure distribution, there is a clear split between Central and Eastern European countries on the one hand and Western European countries on the other. For example, a large country such as Romania – about six times larger than the Netherlands – has only 0.4% of all charging points in the EU.

Although the number of charging points in the EU has increased sharply over the past five years (+180%), the total number (307,000) remains far behind what is needed.

In order to meet the CO2 targets, sales of electric vehicles in all EU countries must increase enormously. A recent study shows that up to 6.8 million public charging stations would be needed by 2030 to achieve the proposed 55% CO2 reduction for cars – meaning we should see more than 22-fold growth in less than 10 years. .

The Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulation (AFIR) – proposed by the European Commission last year – aims to address the situation. However, the level of ambition is completely insufficient, ACEA says.

“While some countries are leading the way when it comes to infrastructure deployment, the majority are lagging behind,” said ACEA Director General Eric-Mark Huitema. “The large differences demonstrate the need for strong AFIR targets that are harmonized across all EU Member States.”

“We urge policy makers to strengthen AFIR so that it can achieve the goal of building a dense European network of charging stations, north to south and east to west.”

Top 5: Countries with the MOST Chargers

  1. Netherlands (90,284)
  2. Germany (59,410)
  3. France (37,128)
  4. Sweden (25,197)
  5. Italy (23,543)

Top 5: Countries with the LEAST chargers

  1. Cyprus (57)
  2. Malta (98)
  3. Lithuania (207)
  4. Estonia (385)
  5. Latvia (420)

SOURCE: ACEA

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.