ACEA finds EU chargers concentrated in two countries

New data analysis from the European Automobile Manufacturers’ Association (ACEA) showed that half of all electric car charging stations in the European Union were concentrated in just two countries: the Netherlands (90,000 chargers) and Germany (60,000).

These two countries cover less than 10% of the total area of ​​the EU. The other half of all chargers were spread over the other 25 countries, accounting for 90% of the area of ​​the region.

The gap between the countries at the top and bottom of the rankings was huge. The Netherlands – the country with the most infrastructure – had almost 1,600 times more charging points than the country with the least infrastructure (Cyprus, with only 57 charging points). Only the Dutch have as many chargers as 23 Member States combined.

When it comes to infrastructure distribution, there is a clear split between Central and Eastern European countries and Western European countries. For example, a large country such as Romania – seven times larger than the Netherlands – has only 0.4% of all charging points in the EU.

Although the number of charging points in the EU has increased significantly over the past five years (+180%), the total number (307,000) remains far behind what is needed.

In order to achieve the CO2 targets, sales of electric vehicles in all EU countries must increase enormously. A recent study shows that it would take up to 6.8 million public charging stations by 2030 to achieve the proposed 55% CO2 reduction for cars – or more than 22 times the growth in less than 10 years.

The Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulation (AFIR) – proposed by the European Commission last year – aims to address the situation. However, the level of ambition is completely insufficient, according to ACEA.

“While some countries are leading the way when it comes to infrastructure deployment, the majority is lagging behind,” said Director General Eric-Mark Huitema.

“The large differences show the need for strong AFIR targets that are harmonized in all EU Member States.

“We urge policy makers to strengthen AFIR so that it can achieve the goal of building a dense European network of charging stations, north to south and east to west.”

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.