Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s family donated ₹9.64 cr to Prince Charles in 2013: Report

A report has surfaced claiming that the family of the terrorist organization Al-Qaeda leader Osma bin Laden donated £1 million ( 9.64.19.833.30) to British Prince Charles in 2013.

According to The Sunday Times, Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, met in London with the half-brother of Al Qaeda founder Bakr and is said to have agreed to accept £1 million.

The report added that several advisers close to Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, advised him to return the money. However, his office at Clarence House has denied that the royal family was personally involved in the decision.

“The Prince of Wales’s Charitable Fund (PWCF) has assured us that a thorough investigation has gone into accepting this donation,” a Clarence House spokesperson told Sky News.

Charles, 73, agreed to the donation to the Prince of Wales Charitable Fund (PWCF) when he met Bakr, 76, at Clarence House in London in 2013, despite objections from advisers to the trust and his office, the newspaper also claimed.

Osma bin Laden was the mastermind behind the infamous attack on the World Trade Center on September 9, 2001 in the US.

British police opened an investigation into another of Charles’s charitable foundations in February over claims of a cash-for-honours scandal involving a Saudi businessman.

The head of The Prince’s Foundation resigned last year after an internal investigation into the allegations.

Michael Fawcett, the foundation’s chief executive, had initially agreed to suspend his duties after newspaper revelations about his ties to a Saudi national.

The man, tycoon Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz, had donated large sums to restoration projects of particular importance to Charles.

Fawcett, a former servant of the Prince of Wales who has been closely associated with Queen Elizabeth II’s heir for decades, is said to have coordinated efforts to grant Mahfouz a royal honor and even British citizenship.

Mahfouz reportedly denies any allegations.

The Charities Commission, which registers and oversees charities in England and Wales, said it opened a formal investigation in November into donations received by Mahfouz’s charity for the Prince’s foundation.

Established in 1986, the Prince’s Foundation is not regulated by the Charities Commission but is registered with the Scottish Charity Regulator.

The Scottish agency launched its own investigation in September into reports that the foundation had taken cash from a Russian banker previously convicted of money laundering.

Check out all the business news, market news, latest news events and latest news updates on Live Mint. Download the Mint News app to get daily market updates.

More or less

Subscribe to Mint Newsletters

* Please enter a valid email address

* Thank you for subscribing to our newsletter.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.