Indian-Origin Malaysian Jailed, Used To Repeatedly Terrorise Girlfriend

Malay of Indian origin in prison, used to repeatedly terrorize girlfriend

He repeatedly beat his girlfriend down, threatened to kill her multiple times (Representative)


A Malaysian of Indian descent was sentenced on Wednesday to seven months and three weeks in prison for terrorizing his girlfriend by beating her, breaking her phone after swallowing a SIM card, tearing her passport and choking her with his hand.

Paartiban Maniam’s sentence went back to March 12 when he was arrested and remanded in custody, TODAY newspaper reported.

The 30-year-old Malaysian pleaded guilty to two charges, each of criminal harassment, committing mischief and harming his partner.

On all these occasions he was drunk.

District Judge James Elisha Lee considered six other similar charges for sentencing purposes.

The court heard that Paartiban had a relationship with his 38-year-old colleague for about two to three years. They lived with her uncle in Singapore from December last year to January 23, when he first attacked her.

She ended the relationship around early March.

Paartiban had gone out for a drink with his friends on January 23 before arguing with the victim over the phone. When he got home, he accused her of being with another man and insulted her.

When her uncle took them to the empty deck of the housing block where he lived to settle the cases, Paartiban beat his girlfriend and beat and beat. The older man had to tell him to stop.

Back at the uncle’s flat, Paartiban placed a kitchen knife close to his girlfriend’s neck and threatened to kill her. Later he hit her head with a wooden tea towel holder.

Upset, she wrestled the retainer off him and hit him with it as well.

Her uncle eventually called the police.

Paartiban was arrested before being released on bail by police.

About a month later, on February 28, Paartiban had left the flat but had returned.

When his girlfriend refused to let him in, he loosened the metal gate at the main entrance by pulling it vigorously away from the wall. He then entered the flat, grabbed her phone and punched her in the face.

During their argument, he pointed a fruit knife at her chest and said in Tamil that he would “absolutely kill her”.

Later, he pointed at her stomach with scissors and threatened to kill her again. She managed to calm him down and he put the scissors down before hitting her on the shoulder.

Afraid of what he would do, she obeyed his instructions to pack her things and leave with him.

All the while, he continued to yell at her, hit her shoulder again, and then tore up her Malaysian passport, according to TODAY’s report.

When she got to the ground floor of the block, she came up with an excuse, walked away and asked a passerby to call the police for her.

Paartiban was arrested and released on bail again.

On March 11, he asked her to return his clothes to him.

He took her to a parking garage and said he wanted to kill her that same day.

She refused to get into a taxi he’d called, so he took her to a nearby bench.

As she sat on the couch, he fished a metal bottle cap from his pocket, bit it to sharpen it, and placed it around her neck.

He then checked her phone, said she had called other men the day before, swallowed her SIM card and slammed the phone against the couch several times before putting it in his pocket. He also waved a bottle of alcohol at her head, but missed.

He continued to drink the alcoholic beverage and smashed the bottle before holding it by her neck. He also said he would kill her that same day before committing suicide.

He then took some shards from the bottle and asked her to follow him.

While she was drinking some water, he put his arm around her neck and strangled her with his hand. A police patrol car then passed them and he had to leave.

She then approached the police for help.

The prosecution demanded seven to ten months in prison for Paartiban.

For criminal harassment, he could have faced up to two years in prison or a fine, or both.

For voluntarily inflicting pain, he could have faced up to three years in prison or a fine of up to SGD 5,000, or both. And for committing mischief, he could have faced up to two years in prison or a fine, or both.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.