Barely twelve hours after last night’s whistle, Chelsea and Udinese were back for part two, electric boogaloo at the Stadio Friuli. Same place, different players (usually), same outcome.
Chelsea took a little longer to get going today than yesterday, but it was an ultra-attacking line-up from Tuchel and we didn’t have to wait too long for the opportunities to start flowing. Unfortunately the classic Chelsea problem of not being able to finish our chances was also in full swing, and even when we found the goal the goalkeeper made a great save (different from yesterday but just as spectacular) or Udinese cleared on the line as on Ethan Ampadu’s header from a corner.
Young Armando Broja was guilty of missing three wonderful chances on his own, but in the end we let our pressure, quality and superiority count in the added time of the first half when Ruben Loftus-Cheek dinked through a superb ball. from Kovačić completed .
The second half was more of the same, with Loftus-Cheek especially starting to make things happen. He would win a penalty to make things more comfortable (Ziyech converts), and was unlucky not to get another assist or three before making way.
Hopefully we’ll get some highlights posted soon. Coverage was a bit lacking of course.
- Full rotation from last night: Kepa in goal, Sarr-Ampadu-Chalobah over the back, Gallagher and Kovačić as a very attacking midfielder, flanked by Chilwell and Loftus-Cheek, and Broja up front flanked by Pulisic and Zieych.
- Halftime sub for Hudson-Odoi for Broja. CHO moving forward.
- Like-for-like (in terms of positions) subs at 67 minutes, Kenedy for Chilwell, Emerson for Sarr, Bettinelli for Kepa
- Subscribed to 77min: Gilmour for Gallagher. Vale for RLC, CHO moved to right-back
- Next up: Everton away on Saturday, August 6 in the season opener!