US Secretary Of State Antony Blinken Says Victims Won’t Be Forgotten

In China's Tiananmen Square, US says victims will not be forgotten

Tiananmen Square anniversary: ​​US called the crackdown “a brutal attack”. (File)

taipei:

The efforts of the victims of China’s bloody crackdown on pro-democracy protesters in and around Tiananmen Square 33 years ago will not be forgotten, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said.

Saturday will mark 33 years since Chinese troops opened fire to end student-led unrest in and around the square. Chinese authorities have banned any public commemoration of the event on the mainland.

In a statement on Saturday Asian time, Blinken called the performance “a brutal attack”.

“The efforts of these brave individuals will not be forgotten. Every year we honor and remember those who stood up for human rights and fundamental freedoms,” he added.

“While many are no longer able to stand up for themselves, we and many around the world continue to stand up for them and support their peaceful efforts to advance democracy and the rights of individuals.”

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian reiterated the government’s standard rule on those events during a routine press conference in Beijing on Thursday.

“The Chinese government has long since come to a clear conclusion about the political incident that took place in the late 1980s,” he said.

Later on Saturday, activists will gather in the Taiwanese capital, Taipei, to commemorate the anniversary, likely the only part of the Chinese-speaking world where such a public event will take place, although there have been large-scale commemorations in China-run Hong Kong in recent years.

Taiwan’s China Mainland Policy Council on Friday called on Beijing “to honestly address the historical facts of the Tiananmen Square incident, implement political reforms (and) carry through democratic governance.”

Last year, police blocked a park in Hong Kong to prevent people from gathering to commemorate the anniversary and arrested the organizer of the planned vigil.

China imposed a strict new national security law on Hong Kong in June 2020 that punishes subversion, terrorism and collusion with foreign troops.

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and has been published from a syndicated feed.)

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.