Lexus unveiled its new luxury crossover, the RX, to the world online on June 1.
Since our founding in 1989, Lexus has always maintained a spirit of innovation and continues to rise to the challenge of bringing new technologies and value to its customers. Building on the “Lexus Electrified” vision announced in 2019, we will achieve significant improvements in fundamental performance using electrification technologies and provide solutions for electric vehicles such as HEVs and PHEVs. By 2030, we will achieve a full range of BEVs in all categories, and by 2035 we aim to sell 100% BEVs globally, contributing to the realization of a carbon neutral society.
The original RX 300 pioneered a new segment, the luxury crossover, when it debuted in North America in 1998. Building on this model, Lexus launched its first HEV model in 2005, the RX400h, the world’s first hybrid luxury crossover. As a pioneer of electric vehicles, we have always pursued both excellent driving performance and environmental performance, and from 1998 to the end of April 2022, we sold a cumulative (provisional) total of approximately 3.5 million vehicles in approximately 95 countries and regions. As a core Lexus model, it has evolved with the support of many customers around the world.
The new RX, now in its fifth generation, pioneers the luxury crossover market and has undergone a complete overhaul as it is a core Lexus model.
The first challenge was to create a car that was fun to drive and one that could engage in a dialogue with the driver. The ‘Lexus Driving Signature’ continues to evolve by significantly improving the vehicle’s fundamentals, while preserving the refined handling and high level of silence that are the origins of the Lexus brand.
Following on from the RZ, the DIRECT4 all-wheel drive system with electrification technology is available on the new RX500h F SPORT Performance. This precise four-wheel drive control works in conjunction with a newly developed hybrid electrical system to maximize front and rear wheel grip and provide posture control. With DIRECT4 drivers will notice an invigorating, direct and torquey driving experience. In addition, different powertrains are now available. The RX will fulfill its mission as a global core model contributing to the realization of a carbon neutral society, while staying close to the increasingly diversified needs and lifestyles of customers.
The second challenge was to transform the design. For the exterior design, Lexus takes on the challenge of creating a unique identity through the use of the ‘spindle body’, which provides ample cooling functionality with a strong design style that conveys the new driving experience. The interior design is based on the people-oriented Tazuna concept, which aims to create a driver’s seat that enables a deeper and more intuitive connection between car and driver for exciting driving, as well as a spacious and comfortable passenger compartment.
KEY PRODUCT FEATURES OF THE BRAND NEW RX
- Deeply strengthens the vehicle’s fundamentals and enhances the Lexus Driving Signature
- A package with optimal weight distribution
- GA-K platform equipped with multi-link rear suspension for high dynamic performance
- Features a combination of high rigidity and light weight
- Provides a balanced ride comfort and a high degree of silence, which are the DNA of Lexus
2. Introducing the RX 500h F SPORT Performance, a performance model that strives for driving pleasure.
- DIRECT4 all-wheel drive system that assists driving, true to the driver’s intentions
- Newly developed turbocharged 2.4-litre HEV DIRECT4 hybrid electrical system with a high-performance eAxle engine at the rear
- Brake attitude control system to control the attitude of the vehicle while driving
- Wide steering angle Dynamic Rear Steering (DRS) for high maneuverability and stability at high speed
3. A diverse range of powertrains tailored to customer needs and lifestyle*1
- Turbocharged 2.4-litre HEV DIRECT4 delivers a new driving experience using electrification technology
- 2.5-litre PHEV E-Four achieves industry-leading EV travel range and powerful acceleration performance
- 2.5-litre HEV E-Four/FF delivers low fuel consumption and an exhilarating driving experience
- Turbocharged 2.4-litre AWD for dynamic, full-torque performance
4. The pursuit of a unique identity and proportions, born of a dynamic driving experience
- Side and rear design with a low center of gravity and a planted stance that reflects a new driving experience
- New expression of the Lexus front identity, starting with the pivot body
- Cockpit that maximizes driving pleasure
- Open expansive space that includes all passengers
- Exterior colors that express fascinating uniqueness and luxury with interior colors that create a sophisticated space
5. Latest preventive safety features based on a people-centric approach
- Advanced Preventive Safety Technology Lexus Safety System +1
- Lexus Teammate for comfortable mobility
- New experience value using advanced technology
*1 varies by region
LEXUS INTERNATIONAL NEW RX CHIEF ENGINEER TAKAAKI OHNO
24 years since the first generation RX was born as a luxury crossover, the RX is loved by many customers around the world. Now in the fifth generation, we’ve embraced the change with the RX with the goal of bringing even more customers the joy of exciting driving as a global core Lexus model. We worked in depth on the fundamentals of the car to pursue a new driving experience and design that was both engaging and rooted in functionality, with the aim of creating a car that made driving more enjoyable and offered a more exciting experience on familiar roads. rides. Created uncompromisingly through the combined efforts of development and production, the new RX will become your companion that enriches your life. We hope you are looking forward to it.